know god's love, show god's love, share god's love
We are called by God to be a hub of caring in the community. We want people to know and experience the reconciling love of Jesus Christ through our church as we gather and serve together.
- Fostering open, non-judgmental and honest communication which builds trust and community that helps all to grow together.
- Nurturing small groups and focused fellowship opportunities to help the community.
- Reaching out to the community to seek to minister in concrete ways with the grace and hope of Christ.
- Children and Youth Ministries
- Hospitality and Welcome
Ministries Founded by Pluckemin Presbyterian Church
- Pluckemin Preschool 1971
- Somerset Chaplaincy to the Elderly 1975
- Interfaith Hospitality Network of Somerset County (lHN or Family Promise) 1992
- Medical Equipment Ministry 2010
Pluckemin is one of more than 10,000 congregations of the Presbyterian Church (USA). As part of the PC (USA):
We are Christians. We believe that God is best described as a trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We also believe that Jesus Christ is both fully God and fully human, and is alive today. Along with all other Christian communities, we recognize the Nicene and Apostles Creeds as two of our core statements of faith.
We are Reformed. We are part of the Reformed family of faith, which includes the Reformed Church in America and the Dutch Reformed Church, as well as Presbyterians, including our denomination, the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. (PCUSA)
The Presbyterian Church at Pluckemin is located in the small village
of Pluckemin, which is part of Bedminster Township in the hills of Somerset
The beginnings of the church in the Pluckemin area go back to about 1720, when early settlers started to arrive from Holland, Ireland, Scotland, and Germany. The area was then known as Raritan in the Hills. An early log church was erected on the mountainside about a mile and a quarter east of the present site, but usually it was more convenient for the people to meet in each other's homes. In 1758, the first church was built on the present site in Pluckemin village. This church was a stone structure, called St. Paul's and barely survived through the American Revolution, which brought raids of British troops and Washington's Army to the area. By 1850, the population had grown to sufficient size to warrant formal approval from the Presbytery of Elizabethtown to form a local Presbyterian Church. The year 1851 is the official date the cornerstone was laid, and by 1856 the church membership was up to nearly 140 people. The present building is located within 70 yards of the original site, on the same street. Membership is currently about 400.